When you are approved by the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) for a tax credit, and contribute the approved amount to GOAL, you may claim a state income tax credit when you file your Georgia tax return for the year in which you contributed.
If you need a copy of your 2017 Form IT-QEE-SSO1 (tax receipt) and/or your DOR certificate number, please contact Allison Saxby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, the DOR is now requiring electronically filed returns in order to claim many Georgia income tax credits, including the Qualified Education Expense credit.
We have proof positive that TurboTax is a viable e-filing options for taxpayers. Detailed instructions for claiming the credit using this software vendor is below:
Additional Helpful Documents & Information:
- DOR sets expectations related to timing of refunds
- The Georgia Department of Revenue states, "Please allow 90 business days to receive refunds. The Department is taking additional fraud prevention measures to ensure tax refunds are issued to the correct individuals."
- Form IT-QEE-SSO1 (your tax receipt from GOAL) GOAL previously sent to you Form IT-QEE-SSO1 to acknowledge your contribution. You do not have to submit a copy of Form IT-QEE-SSO1 to the state, but you must keep a copy with your tax records.
- Form IT-QEE-TP2 (DOR generic form to ensure you complied with the law) This is a for-reference form only.
- Georgia GOAL has been working to obtain a list from the DOR of approved software vendors who support the QEE credit, which is especially important in light of the new electronic filing requirement. The DOR provided this link to their list of Approved Software Vendors, indicating that the "web page is continually being updated with information."